Engel

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

di immortales virtutem approbare, non adhibere debent

"Uh, actually...I was a heretic before it was 'cool'" -Hipgnostic

3 posters

Gnosticism and You!

Zabbaiel
    Zabbaiel

Gnosticism and You! Empty Gnosticism and You!

Post  Zabbaiel Wed May 23, 2012 6:40 pm

Since Gnosticism has become a big part of our game, I thought I would share with the rest of the players some things they should all know about it.

First off, the Sephirot are actual established concepts in the Judeo-Christian-Islamic scheme. They exist mostly to connect man, community, and God together. It’s pretty damn good advice on how to lead a community while bringing yourself and the community closer to God. All of the concepts are very solid, but interpretable. You also have to follow all of them. The Sephirot make the most sense in unison. If you want Faith to be a cornerstone of your character, then I highly recommend you look into becoming a Gnostic at some point. It makes sense in the context of the game and will give you many plot points to play with.

Next, the Sephirot were created by God aka G-O-D and not Metatron aka that asshole with spit in his eye aka The Will. If Faith had something akin to the Laws of Physics, it would be the Sephirot. They are immutable and cannot be destroyed. Every divine being resonates with at least one Sephirot. Some divine beings are the embodiment of that Sephirot. All of the Engelitic Orders are designed after a Sephirot. Humans resonate the most and the least with the Sephirot.

The Three (the Will, the Word, and the Light) all have an equal connection to those humans that become Gnostic. For some unknown reason the Light and the Word are not right now. We as players have the ability to change that. Matt, and to a lesser extent me, have already begun to do that. You do not have to serve the Will if you become a Gnostic (only if you are a player character until further notice). There are Faithful and then there are full-blown Gnostics. You come down with full-blown Gnosticism by believing fully in only one of the Sephirot (this is a mystery). Faithful usually listen and respect full-blown Gnostics blindly (as long as they are acting in character). If you are a player character, you can become attuned to other Sephirot later. Once you are a full-blown Gnostic you receive a message from “GOD” (who is actually Metatron) that you have to perform the Recovenant (that end of the world thingy). The Recovenant is 100% Metatron’s idea and is in no way ever mentioned in or related to any Sephirot ideas. Gnosticism does not equal Recovenant. However, there is major dickery afoot. The Will is auto-recruiting NPC Gnostics right now (another mystery).

I won't say much more because I don't want to spoil anything or color your views on the subject too much. There are many ways to be a Gnostic. Matt and I are both far down that rabbit hole and don't remotely act like each other or other NPC Gnostics. I'll be happy to answer any questions or clarify any statements I have made.
    Phill
    Phill

Gnosticism and You! Empty Re: Gnosticism and You!

Post  Phill Wed May 23, 2012 7:45 pm

Excellent job, TayZabb!

Minor addition from Phill:

We generally refer to all these heretics as the Faithful or the Tribe (Tribesmen) because it sounds creepy. The term Gnostic is usually reserved for a Faithful who manifests supernatural powers from the Sephira.

Then again, I tend to fuck up my nomenclature constantly, so don't hold me to this.

laylial
    laylial

Post  laylial Wed May 23, 2012 8:19 pm

So the smucks in the camps were gnostics or Tribesmen?
    Phill
    Phill

Post  Phill Wed May 23, 2012 10:57 pm

Faithful, perhaps a dozen of them were Gnostics.

I play pretty loose with it sometimes; they're just NPCs. Worse, in that case - expendable to prove a point.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:41 am